Main Wing and Ross Wing (B, C, RA, RB, RC, RM floors)
This comprises two sections which together house 104 Members. The oldest part was built in 1914 and was opened by Prime Minister Massey. Ross Wing was added in 1946. This is named after Lady Margaret Ross, a benefactor of the College. Both the Ross Wing and older section were substantially remodelled between 1994 and 2005. RA/M, and RB/lower RC floors we fully renoved during the 2016/17 and 2017/8 summer breaks as part of the College’s ongoing programme of improvements. B, C, and upper RC floors will be renovated in the summer of 2018/19.
Clyde Wing (CA, CB, CC, CD floors)
This was built in 1967 and faces onto Clyde Street. In the 1980’s this part of the College was initially reserved for Members over 20 years of age, and Members who lived in this Wing were allowed to do their own catering. By 1994, the self-catering option was phased out of this Wing, and it was fully integrated into the rest of the College. Over the past few years remodelling of Clyde Wing has been undertaken, including the addition of CD floor and aa lift in 2008. The Clyde Wing houses 76 Members.
Wilson Wing (WA, WB floors)
This was opened in February 1999. It is a 32-bed wing built on the site of Campbell Cottage. The Cottage was over 100 years old, and when purchased by the College was used to accommodate the domestic staff. It later became rented accommodation. In 1991, it was completely renovated and reopened in 1992. In 1995, it was named Campbell Cottage in recognition of the service to the College given by Ruth Campbell, a Member of the College Council and former resident of the College. In 1998, the Cottage was demolished and a new Wing erected and named in honour of H. Robert Wilson, a Life Fellow and former President of the College Council.
Clyde House (CH)
This was built in the 1960’s and previously housed the College Catering Manager. It was later converted into two self-contained flats and became rented accommodation. At the end of 1992 it was completely renovated and opened in 1993 as Clyde House. Clyde House houses six Members including a College Leader.
Thorpe House (TH)
This house is over 130 years old. It is on a site plan dated 1870 and we assume that it was built sometime before that date. It is probably the oldest building on the University campus. It is a largely Kauri construction and was acquired by the College in the 1960s. Initially it was rented out to tenants, but at the end of 1992 it was renovated and reopened in 1993 as Thorpe House, named after Terry Thorpe, a College Council Member who had unstintingly given 25 years of engineering consultancy to the College.
In addition to housing six Members, including a College Leader, it contains two facilities: (1) the Fellows and Seniors Common Room for use by College Fellows and Senior Members (third-year students and above); and (2) a small tutorial room.